Sunday, September 29, 2013

How I Acquired Dragon Fruit

Welcome chipmunks,

They always say that the answer to the questions that you don't ask will always be 'no' but sometimes I don't think we truly understand how far that truth stretches. 

Way back years ago while I was doing some grocery shopping I discovered a fruit that was bright pink and named 'dragon fruit'. Clearly intrigued I brought it home with me. I cut it open to discover it was white with many black seeds, making for a polka dot affect. I fell in love. Every time I visited the grocery store since then I would scan the produce section looking for my favorite fruit. Never once did I find it. Recently my roommate was required for one of her classes to write an official complaint letter to a company. It got me thinking. So with her help I put together a nice looking letter telling the CEO of Publix (the best grocery store in the South East of the States) how I wish that they would sell dragon fruit again. My highest expectation was for them to tell me that they were sorry for my inconvenience and send me a gift card for max ten dollars. 

A few days later however, I checked the mail to find a letter from Publix that held nothing of that sort. Their letter started with how short the season for dragon fruit is and what few places in the world have the climate to support them and so on about how hard it is to get their hands on these suckers. In complete change of gears the next paragraph told me that the store I shop at is now stocked in dragon fruit and that the produce manager is aware of my request should they not have them by the time I get there. In sheer excitement I rushed to the store and sure enough they had set out a whole bucket full of the little guys. I was so happy. 



I immediately wrote them up a sweet thank you letter and was left with a few thoughts. First and foremost, shopping truly is a pleasure at Publix. Second, if there is something that you want, no matter how impossible it may seem, don't be afraid to ask for it. The worst that could have happened is if they told me that it was not possible, but even then I would at least have the knowledge that I tried. So go chase down all of your dreams tigers, because you may just end up catching a few. ;) 

Wishing you all smiles and happiness,
Victoria 

No comments:

Post a Comment