Sunday, September 22, 2013

Drugs for the Sick

Greetings Sunflowers,

This past week I had the misfortune of being sick. Really sick. One of the rough moments of sickness is when you have used up the last of your drug stash and have to venture out into the world. In PJ bottoms and an oversized sweatshirt with a birds nest where my hair usually lies I made my way to the local drug store, only to then find myself in an aisle of products all claiming to be what I need, at the price of my firstborn of course. With that in my fresh memory I will show you which products I love, which I hate, and the ones that don't seem to do much at all, in the hopes that when you are sick and can't think straight you wont spend your money on something you will end up throwing away. 

First up, my best friend over the past few weeks, NyQuil!



NyQuil is one of those drugs that can just knock me out cold and keep me out. Their commercial used to say you'll get the 'best sleep you ever got with a cold' and it's true. This stuff works and it's good. I would buy stock in NyQuil. If you can't take the taste this miracle drug also comes in pill form (but know that the liquid will work quicker, if you are in need of some immediate relief). 

It has always been a no-brainer to me that every household came equipped with a thermometer. However rarely any college students do. The one I found was a simple digital CVS brand. It reads your temp in about 30 seconds (if you have an old-school mercury one those babies take at least 3 minutes) and beeps like it will explode if your temp is high enough to be considered a 'fever'. They have fancy ones that take three seconds and you stick it in your ear but I'm not made of money. Simple will do. 




Next up is the neti pot. My first experience with these was only a few years ago and I was very skeptical at first, but man do they work. If you have never used one the idea is simple, use gravity to rinse out the nose. This will literally clean out everything in your nose. I use this in the morning and literally don't need another tissue the rest of the day, and my nose gets all congested just like the rest. I don't remember how pricey this was, but once you have the pot you only need to buy the little packets from then on out. 



If you have never heard of one before or are feeling skeptical, I don't blame you because I was right there not long ago. Trust me and go out on a limb for this one, you won't regret it.




Chloraseptic. This is not for pansies. Basically this cute little spray bottle that seems so jolly turns into a monster the second you spray it in your mouth.  You will fight for all that is good to keep it in and hopefully even swallow it as it destroys your tongue and whatever is left of your dignity. And then you won't be able to feel a thing anywhere the spray touched for the next few hours. If your throat is taking you to desperate measures, call in the chloraseptic. It's like the marines of the drug world. 



Last and truly not least we have Mucinex. This is what I live by during the day as NyQuil gets me through the night. (I know there is DayQuil; it's not all it's cracked up to be) This sucker has a terrible taste but it is the only thing I trust to clear out my throat. If you can't handle the liquid they also come in pill form. 



The night pills do have the power to keep you asleep as well if you aren't quite on NyQuils level yet. I also feel the need to say that the day time pills will also keep you awake. I took a day pill at seven or so at night thinking it wouldn't keep me up because I wasn't quite ready to call it a day. At half past midnight I was still wide awake and ready to take on a project. Use responsibly and at the appropriate times of day and you'll be fine. 

These are my must haves to conquer a cold/fever/flu. Remember that the best option for you is to go see your doctor and take exactly what he prescribes, because medicine made for you is always better than medicine trying to please the general public. 

Hope this helps and that you all stay healthy forever :) 

Wishing you all smiles and happiness,
Victoria 

No comments:

Post a Comment